|The IIF has three Centres of Excellence which provide valuable services to its members in particular and the foundry industry in general: The Centre for Education and Training at Kolkata, The National Centre for Technical Services at Pune, The Foundry Informatics Centre at New Delhi.
Foundry Informatics Centre, New Delhi
"The Foundry Informatics Centre which is one of the three centers of excellence of The Institute Of Indian Foundrymen was inaugurated on 13th Oct 1991 in its present premises located at Tuglakabad Institutional Area,New Delhi to service the needs of the members of The Institute to generate useful analytical & commercial information on Foundry industry to liase with various agencies located in the capital
The main objective of FIC is to develop & continuously update & upgrade integrated information system on Foundry & Allied industry & make the information available to IIF members & other interested users & overseas companies in the interest of Indian Foundry industry. This can broadly be given as below.
- To build up information system & periodically update for foundries & allied industry in order to monitor trends & statistics & profiles of individual associated company regarding their capacity, capability, speciality & in house manufacturing & testing facilities, Quality accreditations etc.
- To identify suitable sources of cast component, foundry materials equipments, consultants etc etc
- To generate information of special plant machinery & technology overseas in developed countries.
- To maintain profiles of exporters in foundry & allied industry.
- To maintain Indian Standards of metal castings, foundry equipments, sands, additives, input materials inspection methods to represent IIF in various sectional committees of BIS.
- To generate information on overseas casting buyers.
- To maintain bibliography on the publications of Indian & Foreign journals so that list of articles with their authors, title, abstract & source on specific processes of different type of castings, products, equipments, materials etc can be retrieved for use by IIF members & other interested users.
- To maintain details of various incentive schemes of interest to the foundry industry
- To maintain Various Govt. Notifications, circulars etc issued by Govt. from time to time particularly with regard to export, import, excise, taxation etc etc.
- To reply to various queries received from IIF members & other interested users from time to time
- Since all important Govt offices & Industrial associations are located in Delhi, to liase with various deptts & bodies on matters of interest to the industry & to represent the IIF from time to time.
- Any other matter as decided by the National Council or Office bearers or Chairman FIC
Information Modules Offered by FIC:
- Database on units accredited under ISO 9000/QS9000/TSâ€š"16949 & accreditation boards & certifying bodies etc.
- Database on Small, Medium & Large units related to foundry industry.
- Database on consultants, foundry equipment & material suppliers
- Database on foundries catering to various industrial sectors
- Statistical figures related to production, exports etc.
- Database on foundry units categorywise based on the type of product, process used, industrial sector serviced, scale of production, quality accreditation, capacity installed, geographical location, in house manufacturing & testing facilities etc.
- Database on potential customers sectorwise
- Database on pattern & die makers
- Database on exporters
- Database on importers
- Database on trend of prices of major inputs used in foundries
- Various incentives/funding schemes for the industry
- Various notifications, circulars etc
- Various events of interest
- Bibliography of various important technical articles for use by the members
- To make the information available more user friendly for use by industry
- To provide max possible information online
- To generate more comprehensive information on potential overseas customers & update regularly
National Centre For Technical Services (NCTS), Pune
NCTS with its office at Pune plays a very important role in disseminating useful information pertaining to the science of foundry among the members of the Institute.
The most vital resource of NCTS is its panel of Technical experts. With a combined experience of over 400 years these experts spare their valuable time to meet the technical needs of the foundry industry. The NCTS carries out regular activities like providing:
- Information Sheets : written and reviewed by experts, they contain practical hints for practicing foundrymen.
- Technical Database : Technical articles from various Journals and magazines are collected and the data is stored for future reference.
- Video Films and CDs : Till date NCTS has produced 12 Video Cassettes and 4 CDs on Foundry related topics.
- Reply to the queries : Technical queries from members are fielded free of cost except when special expertise is required.
NCTS also conducts Workshops/Seminars on important technical subjects. Please click here to view the NCTS site ( www.iifncts.org )
The Centre for Education and Training (CET), Kolkata
Located in IIF Centre Kolkata, CET is administered by The National Advisory Committee. It has eminent academicians and practicing engineers on its faculty.
The objectives of the CET are to:
Train the foundrymen for best utilization of human resources,educate them on the latest developments in Foundry technology,provide a forum to deliberate on techno-commercial problems and technology transfer and upgrade their skills.
Catering to these requirements, the Centre conducts short term courses and organises in-plant-training programmes using specialized audio and visual aids. Study notes in the form of monograms are prepared on most of the important topics related to foundry operations and technologies.
Programmes are conducted regularly in the IIF Centre as well as in the various Chapters. Please have a look at the Bulletin Board for a schedule of programmes to be held in future.The CET has prepared a database of Resource Persons, located in different parts of the country. They assist the Centre in conducting their various programmes in different locations where IIF Chapters are located.
The CET in last SIX MONTHS has conducted the following courses for the benefit of Foundries and Foundrymen :
- MAJOR PATTERN MAKING TECHNIQUE AND METHODS
- EFFICIENT MELTING AND METALLURGICAL PRACTICES FOR DIFFERENT METALS WIH INDUCTION FURNACE
- NECESSITY OF INDUCTION FURNACE AND ITS SELECTION FOR FOUNDRIES
- EMPOWERING SMEs THRU GREEN RATING
- DEFECTS OF FERROUS CASINGS (DUCTILE, CI & STEEL) AND THEIR REMEDIES
- APPLICATION AND MAINTENANCE OF REFRACTORY LINING IN FOUNDRY FURNACES
- METALLURGY MADE EASY FOR FOUNDRYMEN
- HOW TO IMPROVE SURFACE FINISH OF CASTINGS AND ANALYSIS OF HOT TEAR CASTING DEFECT WITH CASE STUDIES
- HEAT TREATMENT PRACTICE FOR FERROUS CASTINGS
- METHODING PRINCIPLES FOR FERROUS CASTINGS
- OPERATING ASPECTS ON THE USE OF RESIN BINDERS FOR FOUNDRY APPLICATION
- EQUIPMENT FOR NO BAKE SAND MIXING & RECLAMATION FOR FOUNDRY INDUSTRIES
- TECHNOLOGY OF DUCTILE IRON
- DUCTILE IRON CASTING DEFECTS AND THEIR REMEDIES
Programmes are normally held at:IF CENTER 335, Rajdanga Main Road, East Kolkata Township PO: Kolkata : 700 107.
Rs.900/- (Nine Hundred only) for each one-day course which includes registration Kit, Lunch, Tea & Snacks. Payments are to be made in advance by Demand Draft in favour of The Institute of Indian Foundrymen payable at Kolkata.
- Course Date will be announced well before the commencement of every Course.
- Minimum Intake is 10 persons and the Maximum Intake of 30 persons in a particular batch.
- Incase of non-availability of minimum required number of participants (i.e. 10 persons) for a particular batch, the Registration Fees will be refunded.
- We provide Experts to deliver Lectures from Top Academy as well as from the Renowned Industries.
- The courses can also be availed as In Plant Training Courses
- Besides the above Courses, CET is well equipped to conduct any other tailor-made â€œIn-Plant Short Term Coursein the field of Foundry. You can possibly depend on us to upgrade your Personnel in the field of Foundry according to your own special need.
- In case of â€œIn Plant Training Courses the Registration Fees will depend on the number of participants, subject to be covered and any other relevant factor.
LECTURE MATERIALS OF SHORT TERM COURSE ORGANISED BY CENTER FOR EDUCATION & TRAINING,IIF
||PRICE (incl. Postage)
||Ductile Iron Production
||Ductile Iron Foundry Practice
||Metallurgy for Foundrymen
||Some Aspects of Foundry Practice
||Gating System Design for Steel Casting
||Energy Management and Audit in Foundries
||Repair and Reclamation Technology of Casting
||Engineering Methoding Practice in a Foundry
||In-Mold Treatment & Stream Treatment for Ductile Iron Castings
||Casting Defects- Causes and Remedies
||Grey Cast Iron Technology
||Moulding Processes and Sand System
||Air Pollution Measurement and Control in Foundries
||Moulding Sands and Processes for Steel Castings
||CO2 - Silicate Moulding Process
||Monograph and Reclamation Technology for Castings
||Heat Treatment of Quality Ferrous Castings
||Application of Welding in Foundry Casting
||Elements of Metal Casting -Â An Overview
||Basic Metallurgy of Steel Castings
||Operation Optimisation of Melting in EAF & IF for Foundry Casting
||Machining Technology for Cast iron Castings
||Moulding Practices for Grey Iron Castings
||Inspection and Quality Control
To obtain the Lecture Material, please send Demand Draft favouring The Institute of Indian Foundrymen, payable at Kolkata at the following address :
Centre for Education & Training
The Institute of Indian Foundrmen
335, Rajdanga Main Road
Kolkata : 700 107
Please watch this space for updates on the activities of the Centres of Excellence. Incase of any queries please contact the personnel at the addresses given below:
National Centre for Technical Services NCTS
Mr. S. H. Arjunwadkar
Flat No. 104, Sharmad Residency, S N 291, Shilavihar Colony, Behind Hotel Olivia, Erandwana, Karve Road, Pune- 411038
Ph:020-2542 2902/2543 7374/6500 4705
Fax: 020-2542 2902
Foundry Informatics Centre
Mr. A. K. Anand
Director - Delhi Office
67, Tughlakabad Institutional Area,
Ph:Â 011 29960601
Telefax: 011 29958028
Centre for Education and Training
Mr. G. Mukherjee
335, Rajdanga Main Rd